Job Title: Baker FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Bakery Revision Date: 05/2015
As a Baker, this position will be responsible for baking products for orders and to replenish displays. Additionally, you will ensure a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly, and efficient customer service to customers and team members.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director, Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations, Assistant Managers, Bakery Manager, Assistant Bakery Manager
Direct Reports: Apprentice Baker, Bakery Designer, Wrappers, Fryers
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
· escorting them to the products they're looking for
· securing products that are out of reach
· loading or unloading heavy items
· making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
· performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
5. Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call including taking product orders
6. Checks orders for the day and sets up a timeline and production schedule
7. Prepares make up, bakes, and fries all department products as needed
8. Reviews the status and appearance of product for freshness and pulls by stale date
9. Invoices and puts away product as instructed by the department manager
10. Anticipates product needs, not only for the current day but subsequent days.
11. Inspects incoming products quality and quantity, e.g. mispicks.
12. Understands the use and issues related to bakery equipment and follows up on potential maintenance issues
13. Checks signage for correct labels on ad items
14. Reviews department for potential safety issues, e.g. hot racks or knobs in hot water
15. Operates as a lead with bakery clerks
16. Prioritizes orders as per customer and department manager request; checks orders (not only special orders, but future orders for the day).
17. Proofs necessary items
18. Pulls product from the freezer or the cooler
19. Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat
20. Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress
21. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines
22. Reports to work when scheduled and on time
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Orders supplies and merchandise items for the department (except cake decorating items) as directed by the bakery manager
2. Reviews current product on the shelf, re-merchandises the shelf, and throws away or recycles outdated products
3. Writes the department schedule and ensures employees are at work, on time, and finds replacements when necessary, in bakery manager's absence
4. Assists in other areas of store as needed
5. Performs other job related duties and special projects as required
Education and Experience:
High school or equivalent experience (department training helpful) and over six months up to one year of similar or related experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
This position is continually exposed to flour, noise, and temperature extremes. There is frequent exposure to dampness, vibrations, equipment movement hazards, and occasional exposure to cleaning chemicals/solvents. This is a fast paced work environment with significant pressure.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Mixers, proof box, ovens, sheeter, rounder, dishwasher, fryer, telephone, and intercom, cash register, label machine, shrink wrap machine, Telexon ordering unit, C.A.R.S. system, and copy cake machine.
Deals with customers and the general public on a daily basis, works with suppliers/vendors weekly, and deals with Federal/State Governmental or Regulatory Agencies yearly.
Has access to confidential information including sales.
Hy-Vee, Inc. is an employee-owned corporation operating 240 retail stores across eight Midwestern states with sales of $9.3 billion annually. Hy-Vee ranks among the top 25 supermarket chains and the top 50 private companies in the United States. Supermarket News, the authoritative voice of the food industry, has honored the company with a Whole Health Enterprise Award for its leadership in providing services and programs that promote a healthy lifestyle.