Job Title: Pharmacy Technician – Certified FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Pharmacy Revision Date: 03/2014
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Assist pharmacists in the preparation and distribution of prescription medications. Licensed, through a national certification program, as a pharmacy technician.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director, Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations, Assistant Managers, Pharmacy Manager, Staff Pharmacists
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
· escorting them to the products they're looking for
· securing products that are out of reach
· loading or unloading heavy items
· making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
· performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
5. Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
6. Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
7. Handles inquiries that do not require a pharmacist's expertise and judgment.
8. Accepts new written prescription orders and telephoned refill requests at the discretion of the supervising pharmacist.
9. Takes orders from or calls doctor's offices for refill prescriptions.
10. Gathers patient information required to prepare prescriptions.
11. Assists in maintaining correct patient information.
12. Assists pharmacists in preparing prescription drug products for dispensing.
13. Prepares and affixes labels to prescription containers.
14. Prepares prescriptions to be mailed.
15. Prepares and submits insurance claims.
16. Files prescriptions after they have been dispensed.
17. Reports any medication errors to appropriate personnel.
18. Orders, checks-in, and stocks pharmacy supplies.
19. Logs invoices as necessary.
20. Performs cash transactions.
21. Maintains cleanliness of pharmacy and dispensing area.
22. Assists with third party insurance billing and trouble shooting.
23. Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
24. Adheres to all statutes and regulations pertaining to a pharmacy technician.
25. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
26. Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists in other areas of the store as needed.
2. Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent. Certified as a licensed technician through a certified national program and maintains continuing education requirements to keep license active. Previous experience as a pharmacy technician or pharmacy clerk is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
This position frequently involves a fast work pace in a retail store setting. Must be able to handle multiple tasks (filling scripts, answering telephone, waiting on customers, etc.) every day. There is an occasional exposure to dangerous chemicals/solvents while compounding products and chemotherapy drugs.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
PC with pharmacy software and printer, cash register, Telexon Ordering Unit, C.A.R.S. ordering system, pharmacy balance, scanner, calculator, telephone, fax, and copier.
Maintains the confidentiality of the customer's private medical information according to the HIPPA act.
Has daily contact with customers, general public, and suppliers/vendors. Has occasional contact with community or trade/professional organizations and federal/state governmental or regulatory agencies.
Hy-Vee, Inc. is an employee-owned corporation operating 240 retail stores across eight Midwestern states with sales of $9.3 billion annually. Hy-Vee ranks among the top 25 supermarket chains and the top 50 private companies in the United States. Supermarket News, the authoritative voice of the food industry, has honored the company with a Whole Health Enterprise Award for its leadership in providing services and programs that promote a healthy lifestyle.