Job Title: Chinese Express Cook FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Chinese Express Revision Date: 05/2015
As a Chinese Express Cook, this position will be responsible for preparing various foods for the Chinese department. You will be responsible for food in hot and cold cases. Additionally you will ensure a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly, and efficient customer service to customers and team members.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director, Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations, Assistant Managers, Chinese Express Manager
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee’s designated department or elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers’ names and to address them by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by:
- escorting them to the products they’re looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
- Answers the telephone promptly when called upon, and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
- Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
- Prepares the woks: cleans with water first, woks are heated to an appropriate temperature using gas, and oil is added to the wok for the cooking process.
- Cooks soups first and then meats.
- Prepares vegetables and ready sauces adding spices, etc. Combines all the ingredients with the meat.
- Places food in hot cases, monitors amounts, and refills as necessary.
- Orders product and supplies when necessary or notifies department head of needs.
- Cleans work area at the end of the shift.
- Fills the cold case with fresh-made food.
- Prepares items for the next day after everything else is done; meats in freezer, etc.
- Understands all aspects of the Chinese kitchen.
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Checks rice as time permits.
- Takes customer orders at the Chinese Express counter when necessary.
- Assists in other areas of store as needed.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
High school or equivalent; Training provided
- Must be physically able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; up to 20 pounds of force frequently; and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual requirements include vision from more than 20 inches and less than 20 feet with or without correction, and color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors).
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Balancing, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Must have the ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or verbal instructions
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers.
- Must have the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions, write identifying information, and request supplies orally or in writing.
This position is continually exposed to noise and temperature extremes and frequently exposed to cleaning chemicals/solvents. This is a fast paced work environment with a significant amount of pressure to meet deadlines.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Wok, cooking spoons, buckets (vegetables), knives, and cutting boards.
Has daily contact with store personnel, customers, and the general pub