Job Title: Courtesy Clerk FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Grocery Revision Date: 01/2014
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Packages purchases and assists customers with delivery to their mode of transportation.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers, 2nd Assistant Managers
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
· escorting them to the products they're looking for
· securing products that are out of reach
· loading or unloading heavy items
· making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
· performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
5. Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
6. Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
7. Packages purchases.
8. Cleans but not limited to registers, restrooms, break room; backroom, sweeps and mops the floor, and tends to supply needs.
9. Assists customer in transporting purchases to their mode of transportation.
10. Helps train new courtesy clerks.
11. Checks prices on products.
12. Pulls product forward on shelf.
13. Brings carts in from parking lot and cart corral.
14. Cleans can redemption area and empties the recycle bins, where applicable.
15. Stocks, faces, rotates merchandise, cleans shelves, understands shelf tags, and knows location of merchandise in the store and also in the back room.
16. Maintains supplies on front-end; i.e. paper/plastic sacks, receipt paper, etc.
17. Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
18. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
19. Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists in all departments as requested (within the wage and hour guidelines).
2. Delivers product to customers (within the wage and hour guidelines).
3. Shovels, salts, and sands walkways.
4. Assists in other areas of store as needed.
5. Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
No education or experience requirements.
Ÿ Must be physically able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; exert up to 20 pounds of force frequently; and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Ÿ Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
Ÿ Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
Ÿ Must have the ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or verbal instructions; deal with a few concrete variables.
Ÿ Ability to do simple addition and subtraction; copying figures, counting and recording.
Ÿ Must be able to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; writes identifying information request supplies orally or in writing, increased contact with people.
This position is exposed to noise, temperature extremes, dampness, dirt, and chemicals/solvents.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Tomra (bottle machines), window washing equipment, vacuum cleaner, power washer, brooms, delivery vehicle, phone, fax, copier, two wheeler, pallet jack, box cutter (within wage and hour guidelines).
Has daily contact with the general public and occasional contact with suppliers/vendors.
Hy-Vee, Inc. is an employee-owned corporation operating 240 retail stores across eight Midwestern states with sales of $9.3 billion annually. Hy-Vee ranks among the top 25 supermarket chains and the top 50 private companies in the United States. Supermarket News, the authoritative voice of the food industry, has honored the company with a Whole Health Enterprise Award for its leadership in providing services and programs that promote a healthy lifestyle.