Check out some other jobs from Hy-Vee
Job Title: Custodian FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Grocery Revision Date: 03/2009
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Responsible for store cleanliness, inside and out.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers, 2nd Assistant Managers
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
· escorting them to the products they're looking for
· securing products that are out of reach
· loading or unloading heavy items
· making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
· performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
5. Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
6. Orders cleaning products as needed; audits invoices for correctness (where applicable).
7. Responsible for total store cleanliness and appearance, inside and out. Including but not limited to sweeping, mopping, waxing, buffing, vacuuming, power washing, scrubbing, dusting, shampooing of carpets, sanitizing.
8. Changes ceiling lights.
9. Monitors plumbing, fixtures, coolers, and freezers and notifies supervisors as needed.
10. Installs and replaces towel, paper, and soap dispensers when needed.
11. Empties the garbage and crushes cardboard.
12. Assists customers with their needs.
13. Conducts inventory on products for costs and amounts used every quarter.
14. Responsible for equipment maintenance.
15. Unclogs drains where needed.
16. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
17. Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Does price checks, returns carts from parking lot, and sacks for customers as needed.
2. Cleans cooling systems and filters for the store.
3. Assists in other areas of store as needed.
4. Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
No education or experience requirements.
Ÿ Must be physically able to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; exert up to 20 pounds of force frequently; and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Ÿ Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
Ÿ Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
§ Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
§ Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers.
§ Have the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies verbally or in writing.
This position is exposed to noise, temperature extremes, dampness, dirt, and chemicals/solvents.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Scrubber, buffer/swing machine, mop, hand scraper, screw driver, wrench, and hand tools, power hand tools, vacuum.
This position has daily contact with suppliers/vendors, the general public, customers and co-workers.
Hy-Vee, Inc. is an employee-owned corporation operating 240 retail stores across eight Midwestern states with sales of $9.3 billion annually. Hy-Vee ranks among the top 25 supermarket chains and the top 50 private companies in the United States. Supermarket News, the authoritative voice of the food industry, has honored the company with a Whole Health Enterprise Award for its leadership in providing services and programs that promote a healthy lifestyle.