Check out some other jobs from Hy-Vee
Job Title: GM Manager FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: General Merchandise Revision Date: 03/2012
Sets the department standards for customer service, employee relations, cleanliness, sanitation, professional appearance and overall profitability. Coordinates the delivery of the best quality product at a competitive retail price.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations; Assistant Managers
Direct Reports: GM Employees
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintains a positive attitude; creates an atmosphere of friendliness and fun through flexibility and teamwork. Generates a friendly atmosphere by encouraging employees to greet and speak to customers; providing prompt, courteous, and efficient service to customers and sets a good example.
2. Sets the department standards for customer service, employee relations, cleanliness, sanitation, professional appearance and overall profitability.
3. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
4. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
5. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
6. Assists customers by: (examples include)
· escorting them to the products they're looking for
· securing products that are out of reach
· loading or unloading heavy items
· making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
· performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
7. Answers the telephone promptly when called upon, and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
8. Recruits, hires, trains, supervises, disciplines, and evaluates all department employees.
9. Determines department goals with store director.
10. Determines weekly work schedule and establishes a daily work plan for the department.
11. Inspects signage and displays for quality and quantity of merchandise and orders product for replenishment.
12. Communicates with employees regarding sales and ideas.
13. Handles and satisfies customer issues.
14. Figures retail pricing and insures correct pricing.
15. Extends invoices, posts invoices, and oversees department bookkeeping procedures.
16. Analyzes weekly and monthly sales and trends and compares to actuals, prepares ad projections, and write ads.
17. Conducts inventory of the department.
18. Plans displays, promotions, and determines pre-orders.
19. Insures proper temperatures and storage procedures are maintained to guarantee freshness and control shrink of product.
20. Understands and troubleshoots equipment and ensures maintenance is performed.
21. Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
22. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
23. Reports to work when scheduled and works expected number of hours.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Ensures pricing is competitive in the market area.
2. Attends meetings and seminars and participates in continuing education.
3. Fills displays and works in the sales area.
4. Unloads trucks, checks in delivered merchandise and places product in appropriate storage area.
5. Performs departmental duties as needed.
6. Assists in other areas of the store as needed.
7. Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Instructing, assigning, reviewing, and planning the work of others, maintaining standards, allocating personnel, and coordinating the activities of others.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma and one to three years of similar or related work experience.
Ÿ Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Ÿ Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
Ÿ Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
• Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
• Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
• Must have the ability to file, post, and mail materials; copy data from one record to another; interview to obtain basic information; guide people and provide basic direction.
This position is exposed to dirt, noise, and equipment movement hazards on a daily basis. Has occasional exposure to electrical shock. This is a fast pace work environment.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Pallet jack, computer, two-wheeler, telephone, Telexon ordering unit, C.A.R.S. system, box cutter, and calculator.
Responsible for purchasing product for the department.
Has daily contact with suppliers/vendors, and the general public.
Has access to confidential information including pricing.
Hy-Vee, Inc. is an employee-owned corporation operating 240 retail stores across eight Midwestern states with sales of $9.3 billion annually. Hy-Vee ranks among the top 25 supermarket chains and the top 50 private companies in the United States. Supermarket News, the authoritative voice of the food industry, has honored the company with a Whole Health Enterprise Award for its leadership in providing services and programs that promote a healthy lifestyle.