Job Title: Server FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Market Grille Revision Date: 03/2016
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Responsible for taking and delivering food and beverage orders to patrons in the Hy-Vee dining setting. Ensures correct and prompt delivery of food.
Accountable and Reports to: Restaurant Manager; Assistant Restaurant Manager; Food Expeditor/Expo
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee’s designated department or elsewhere in the store
- Makes an effort to learn customers’ names and to address them by name whenever possible
- Answers the telephone promptly when called upon, and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call including taking customer orders
- Check with customers to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and take action to correct any problems
- Collect payments from customers
- Write patrons' food orders on order slips, memorize orders, or enter orders into computers for transmittal to restaurant staff
- Prepare checks that itemize and total meal costs and sales taxes
- Take orders from patrons for food or beverages
- Check patrons' identification to ensure that they meet minimum age requirements for consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Serve food or beverages to patrons, and prepare or serve specialty dishes at tables as required
- Present menus to patrons and answer questions about menu items, making recommendations upon request
- Clean tables or counters after patrons have finished dining
- Prepare hot, cold, and mixed drinks for patrons, and chill bottles of wine
- Stock service areas with supplies such as coffee, food, tableware, and linens
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Washes dishes as necessary
- Orders product and supplies as necessary
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as required
Education and Experience
No education requirement. 0 – 2 years of related work experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Must have the ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or verbal instructions; deal with a few concrete variables
- Ability to do simple addition and subtraction; copying figures, counting and recording
- Possess the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies orally or in writing
The duties for this position are normally conducted in a store/restaurant environment. This is a fast paced atmosphere which requires significant contact and communication with others, with great attention to customer service.
Equipment Used to Perform Job
Standard tools and equipment used in a serving environment including Bar code reader, cash register, carving knives, credit card processing machines, paging equipment, POS printers, POS terminals and POS workstations.
- Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), and field of vision
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, prolonged standing and walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions
Has constant contact with the general public and customers